Thoughts on politics and life from a liberal perspective

Tuesday 18 January 2011

Dr Phillip Lee MP writes to me about AV

I recently asked for the views of my local Conservative MP Dr Phillip Lee regarding the potential change to the AV system. I was hoping for some measured and nuanced views on this from someone who is undoubtedly an intelligent and thoughtful man. Instead I got a list of recycled canards which look like they have been cribbed directly from the No2AV campaign literature.

You can judge for yourselves as I have scanned the letter in and included it below. You can click on the image to enlarge it.




3 comments:

Lorna Dupré said...

He has also written 'waiting' instead of 'weighting'. A set of pre-digested bullet points that it appears even he doesn't understand. You lucky people in Bracknell to have such a man represent you in Parliament!

martijn said...

Wow.

I thought it was considered a good idea to start with your strongest points. His strongest point -- the only one that I kind of agree with, except I don't think it's a reason not to support it -- is the last one. His first argument makes no sense at all, unless he is effectively saying BNP voters shouldn't have their vote counted at all.

Anonymous said...

I'm not entirely surprised that he's giving you responses that you've heard from other people many times before.

I've just seen his voting record:

http://www.publicwhip.org.uk/mp.php?id=uk.org.publicwhip/member/40107&showall=yes#divisions

He's only been a rebel once. On every other occasion since he was elected, he has voted with his party. He appears to be a strong Conservative loyalist.

In some ways, it's good to see party unity in public. If there are disagreements, they should be dealt with in private.