Thoughts on politics and life from a liberal perspective

Sunday 5 July 2009

I am not yet the new Mike Smithson

OK, so I lost the bet(s).


I had said that Gordon Brown would be out by the end of June and both Charlotte Gore (from off of the Wikio political blogs top 23) and Kalvis Jansons (from off of the Gordon Brown resign petition) now have their £10 each from me.

I do still have another bet on with Constantly Furious for £10 that Brown will be out before the end of the year. I am still sure that Labour will get rid of him and think it may well happen in the Autumn.

I am wondering if I should put some money on Gordon Brown not being Labour leader by the next General Election. This is the thing that I am most confident about. I just cannot see either him wanting to lead his party to a crushing defeat, nor the Labour party actually allowing him to do it. I would like to put a bit of cash on this at the bookies but I have not really done any proper political betting before and wonder if someone might be able to advise me on the best way to go about it?

6 comments:

Administrator said...

I agree with you Mark. I think Brown will go by the end of the year. I am not a betting man due to religious reasons or I would have put some money on it!

Kalvis Jansons said...

The cheque arrived yesterday, thank you.

It would be nice to think that Mr Brown would resign or be removed before the next election, but he does look like the sort of person that might hang on till the end.

I don't think he will go, unless he is pushed.

Cardinal Richelieu's mole said...

New Labour's only hope now is the appearance (for it will not be real) of an economic upturn before the election - yet it can only claim credit for it if it has not sacked the architect. No other form of redemption will make all that much difference - any benefits of someone new would be wiped out by the angst of ridding itself of Brown.

Accordingly, he will hang on and be permitted to do so for the chance they had to rid themselves of Brown was blown by fright and Heseltine syndrome ("he who wields the knife does not get to wear the crown")

sanbikinoraion said...

Mark, I am up for £10 on Brown staying as leader until the next election. I just don't believe that the Labour party have the guts to ditch him.

Kalvis Jansons said...

Does anyone know the official odds for some of the events discussed in this thread? If so, could they post them?

Mark Thompson said...

sanbikinoraion -

Thanks for the offer but I think I am going to stick this one on with the bookies when I can find the best odds and way to do it. When I find out I will let you know so you can stick one on the opposite outcome!