Thoughts on politics and life from a liberal perspective

Saturday 24 July 2010

In praise of Hayes

Back in the early 1990s I used to regularly watch a discussion show on late night ITV called "Whale On" hosted by James Whale. A regular guest was a Tory MP Jerry Hayes. That is the first time I came across him and he regularly commentated about issues on the programme from a political perspective.


I hadn't really heard of him again (he lost his seat in 1997) until I noticed him popping up on Twitter recently as @JerryHayes1. He seems like a nice chap with some views I agree with. He is clearly on the moderate wing of the Conservative Party.

The thing I have most noticed about him though are his generally very good pieces on the "Think Politics" blog which he tweets links to. They are often thought-provoking, very well written and he is not afraid to criticise elements within his own party which I am always pleased to see.

I would recommend checking them out if you get the chance.

2 comments:

Jerry Hayes said...

Mark. That's very generous and much appreciated. I thoroughly enjoy your blog too!

Anonymous said...

Good find - I like. In spite of the fact that he whitewashed over Clegg's hideous gaffes at PMQs.

I'm sure he loves being mistaken for Rory McGrath, tooi :o)