- Don't vote Lib Dem here, you'll let the Tories in.
- You can't vote Labour here, they've got no chance, you'll let the Lib Dems in.
- Tories can't win here.
- Vote Conservative to keep Labour out.
- SNP are the only ones in this seat who can keep the Tories out.
- A vote for Plaid Cymru is a vote for Labour.
- You do realise don't you that if you vote Lib Dem you could let Labour in here?
- Vote tactically for us to keep them out.
- Only Lib Dems can keep Labour out.
- Only the Conservatives can keep Labour out.
- Only the SNP can keep Labour out.
Are you sick of it yet?
It is the First Past the Post system that forces all parties (yes, yes, I know including my own) to indulge in this very negative way of campaigning. A change to Single Transferable Vote which allows voters to list their preferences would transform all of this. Instead of scaring voters with the possibility of them "letting in" the candidate they fear most, candidates would suddenly find the way to win is to appeal for people to vote *for* them rather than *against* someone else. It's built into the system and comes for free.
Please let's make this the last election under this sort of relentlessly negative system.